The Library contains Visa proprietary technical specifications that are used in the development of chip products as follows:
- Contact/contactless reader/terminals (devices)
- Contact/contactless chip card products
- Chip components used in chip cards
- Operating system and payment application software
- Personalization systems
The technology that you need depends on:
- Are you developing cards, chip components or reader/terminals?
- Is your product contact only, contactless only or both?
- Where will you be deploying your product, that is, what part of the world? There may be additional requirements based on the region.
- Review the library categories/content, which indicates the license required, to help you determine the Visa technology you will need to build your product.
- Before initiating a development project, verify you are using the latest versions of the technology specifications, for example, VIS and VCPS and the applets.
- Please check with your regional or country Visa representative to determine the specifications and applet versions used in your region as well as any other regional-specific requirements.
- Check this site regularly for updates to current specifications. Subscribers will receive notifications so make sure your email contact is current.
- Review the Visa Sunset Plan (Subscriber Only), available under Bulletins and Announcements, to ensure that testing will be available for the product when your development has been completed. Visa will not approve products nor allow them to be deployed in the marketplace without Approval Testing.
Related Industry Standards Organization
EMVCo's primary role is to manage, maintain and enhance the EMV™ Integrated Circuit Card Specifications to ensure interoperability and acceptance of payment system integrated circuit cards on a worldwide basis. EMVCo also maintains specifications and testing procedures for terminal compliance testing and card type approval testing to help ensure cross payment system interoperability through compliance with the EMV specifications.
The testing and approval process for Visa Smart Debit/Credit (VSDC) contact-only acceptance products is managed by EMVCo. Specifications, administration documentation, test requirements and test cases may be obtained at the EMVCo Site.
Driven by over 50 cross-industry member organizations, GlobalPlatform is an international association focused on establishing and maintaining interoperable specifications for single- and multi-application smart cards, acceptance devices and systems infrastructure that deliver benefits to issuers, service partners and technology suppliers.
In addition to the standards listed above, the following standards/programs may or may not be applicable to your product:
Disclaimer: This may not be a complete list of the information that you may need to develop your product to be in compliance with applicable security and other marketplace standards.